First Jewish Cemetery in Savannah, GA
330 Bonaventure Road Thunderbolt, , GA 31404
The Old Jewish Burial Ground, or Jewish Cemetery Memorial, was established in 1773 by Mordecai Sheftall and founded by General James Oglethorpe. It was stated that the cemetery would only be used as a Place of Burial for those professing the Jewish religion. It was used as a place of rallying in 1779 during an attempt to recapture Savannah from the British by French and American forces. The cemetery settled in the central point of the Georgia colony from it's beginnings, serving as a refuge for those fleeing religious persecutions. On the back of a monument to the cemetery, some names of those buried at the cemetery are carved into the stone.
Related Points of Interest:Columbia Square
Confederate War Memorial Monument
Old Harbor Light & Oglethorpe Bench