Site of Fort Wayne in Savannah, GA
Fort Wayne was built in 1762 to defend Savannah, but it was not used until the Revolutionary war. It was known as "The Fort" during the British occupation of Savannah during the Revolutionary war. The Fort was renamed Fort Wayne after and important revolutionary war figure, "Mad" Anthony Wayne. During the Revolutionary War, Fort Wayne was used as a defense, primarily by British troops while they were in occupation of the city. Fort Wayne was upgraded during the War of 1812, although it did not play a significant role in that war. Later it was used during the Civil War, and served as military barracks until the city was taken over by General Sherman.
Today the site appears much as it did in the 1940's when it was decommissioned and abandoned. There are no longer any cannons at the site, but vistors can tour the site and see the grounds where the soldier lived, worked and defended the city. Visiting the site is a great way to get a first hand look at and a better appreciation for the military history of Savannah, GA and the United States.
Fort Pulaski National Monument
Hospitality Industry of Savannah, GA
Hutchinson Island in Savannah, GA
Landmark Historic District
Rousakis Plaza, Historic River Street
Savannah Historic District in Savannah, GA
Savannah's Victorian District