This interesting attractions was built in 1872, over 100 years ago.
Back then the bell was used to warn the citizens of Savannah if there was a fire blazing. Later it was used as a general warning sound, and announced important events, such as the end of the Spanish-American War. It is located near the Savannah Fire Department Headquarters and was dedicated as a memorial to firefighters in 1985. The bell was named for Alderman Marmaduke Hamilton who was the chairman of the City Council Fire Committee from 1871 to 1873. The bell is now a symbol of the Savannah Fire Department as a whole, from when it began to today.