The historic Savannah Theatre first opened it's doors in 1818 with a performance of 'The Soldier's Daughter'.
The original building was designed by William Jay, who is also the designer for the Telfair Mansion and the Owens-Thomas House, both in Savannah. In 1898 a hurricane hit the original structure and tore sections of the roof off of the building and flooded the auditorium. Two fires in 1906 and 1948 led to several overhauls to the building, and after the 1948 fire, the style of the theatre was changed to Art Deco. Today, the Theatre is a popular venue for live performances and productions, and has served as both a live venue and movie theater.