Sorrel-Weed House in Savannah, GA
The house represents one of the most wondrous styles of antebellum Greek Revival/Regency architecture in the United States. It was designed by one of the leading architects in the United States, Charles Cluskey. He also designed the old Governors Mansion in Milledgeville and worked on the United States capitol.
The Sorrel-Weed House was completed between 1839 and 1840 for Francis Sorrel. As one of the most accomplished gentlemen in Savannah at the time, Francis and the Sorrel home became the toast of the town. When it was built, the home stood on the southern edge of town. During the 1840s and '50s, this was 'the house' to be invited to for social gatherings and celebrations. Savannah's renowned names were frequent guests in the house, spending many late nights in the parlor rooms until the early hours of the morning.
Prior to and during the Civil War, General W. T. Sherman was entertained in the home, as well as General Robert E. Lee. General Lee became friends with Francis around 1830 and was a guest in 1861 and 1870. In 1862, the Sorrel house was acquired by Henry Davis Weed, one of Savannah's largest business owners. This chapter of the house ultimately gave it its current name highlighted on the wrought-iron plaque erected outside the house: The Old Sorrel-Weed House.