Fort Michilimackinac Area in Mackinaw City, MI
102 W Straits Ave Mackinaw City, , MI 49701
Once an 18th Century French and British fort and trading post in the Great Lakes of North America, Fort Michilimackinac was built in 1715. The site was deserted in 1783 and the fort today in Mackinaw City is a National Historic Landmark in 1960 and preserved as an open-air historical museum featuring many significant objects and collections. The site is a popular tourist attraction as part of Colonial Michilimackinac State Park in Mackinaw City, a major section of the Mackinac State Historic Parks. The site has several reconstructed wooden structures and is considered one of the most extensively excavated early French archaeological sites in the U.S.
Related Points of Interest:Conkling Heritage Park
Father Marquette National Memorial
Mackinac Island State Park