Big Thunder Gold Mine - Keystone, SD
Big Thunder Gold Mine gives Mount Rushmore visitors the chance to tour an authentic gold mine and try their hand at mining. This attraction will bring you back to the exciting times of the settling of the Black Hills of South Dakota. Learn about the history of the area and tour an actual gold mine with knowledgeable and interesting tour guides.
The mining museum is a fascinating and informative site with displays detailing the era and showing what life was like for those who really "went for the gold." You can even take a part of that life back with you when you return to the 21st century with your own piece of gold ore.
The tour runs daily and is handicap accessible. The on-site museum is modeled after the Tykoon Gold Mill, also known as the Custom Mill, that was built on the Big Thunder property in 1895. There is no additional charge to get in the museum, and inside you will get the chance to explore a bell crusher, stamp mill, jaw crusher, blacksmith equipment, winches, and more. Afterwards, you can get the chance to search for gold yourself. The gold and gem panning exercise guarantees that you will find gold, though you will realize that patience was definitely a virtue the miners of the past needed to have.
- What is included in the admission price for Big Thunder Gold Mine?
Each pass will include access to the museum.
- Approximately how long could a customer plan to spend at Big Thunder Gold Mine - Keystone, SD?
The tour lasts about an hour, people spend about an hour panning for gold, and spend about an hour at the museum.
- Is Big Thunder Gold Mine - Keystone, SD handicap accessible?
- Is photography & video recording allowed?
Of course! Don't forget your cameras.
- For what ages is Big Thunder Gold Mine - Keystone, SD appropriate?
This is great for all ages.
- Is parking available at Big Thunder Gold Mine - Keystone, SD?
Yes, free parking is available at the location.