Photo
Photo

Institute Hall in Charleston, SC

134 Meeting Street Charleston, SC 29401
Institute Hall, built in 1854, stood until 1861. An Italianate building, it was designed by Jones and Lee for the South Carolina Institute, a progressive organization promoting 'art, ingenuity, mechanical skill, and industry.' The Grand Hall, Charleston's largest public space, seated 3,000 and hosted fairs, exhibits, concerts, and conventions. It hosted the 1860 Democratic convention, which split over the mention of slavery in the party platform. 

Try searching by keyword or choose a specific date.
Search:
View By Date:
Arrival Date:
 
Length of Visit:
View By Date:
Arrival Date:
 
Length of Visit:
Checkout
Cart
Contact Customer Service at
1-800-717-9964
Secure Online Payment Options
credit card logos