Beasley Coliseum sits on the Washington State University campus in Pullman, Washington. If first opened its doors in June 1973. It began operations under the official name, Washington State University Performing Arts Coliseum. The very first event held at the coliseum was an NBA game between Seattle and Portland. In 1981, it was officially named Beasley Coliseum in honor of Wallis Beasley, a highly respected sociology professor and the university’s current executive vice president. From that time forward it was primarily college sports activities involving the various Cougars of WSU.
It is famous for housing Friel Court, the college basketball court. The court was named in honor of Jack Friel, who had been the basketball team’s head coach until 1958 by which time he had led the team to 495 victories over the course of 30 years. Although the coliseum itself was completed in 1973, the court did not start being built until 1977. Since its construction, the coliseum has hosted the sub-regionals three times. Throughout every year the coliseum is also used for more than sports alone. There are frequently concerts, speaking engagements, dinners, and the commencement ceremonies.
There is currently a possible seating capacity of 12,000 spectators. Interestingly, the coliseum was built with state-of-the-art sound equipment that allowed for opera-like acoustics. This had to be dismantled after it was discovered that every time a toilet was flushed it could be heard loud and clear by all.