Head to Montgomery Field Airport six miles (10 km) north of downtown San Diego to board your open cockpit biplane. Up to two passengers can sit in the front cockpit, while the pilot operates the plane from the rear cockpit. Depending on the route you choose (see Itinerary below for options), see downtown San Diego, La Jolla, Del Mar, Torrey Pines, Mission Bay, Coronado or Rancho Santa Fe. You can choose to fly low and slow to capture amazing photos or get your heart pumping with some aerial thrills.
One of the biplanes was originally built in May of 1927, the same month that Charles Lindbergh flew across the Atlantic, and was used to carry airmail. Another was built in November of 1929, right before the 1930 "St. Valentine's Day Massacre." It was owned by a detective agency in Chicago that used it to transport a gangster-sniffing bloodhound. The third biplane was fully restored and looks like it just came off the showroom floor!
Your biplane ride will last 20 minutes to an hour, according to the itinerary chosen. Conclude your memorable flight at Montgomery Field Airport.
Please note: If you would like a separate plane for each person, please make individual bookings for each party. Any 2 passengers on the same booking will share a plane.
Pickup & Return:
Montgomery Field, San Diego.
Departure Times: Flights are available from 11am to sunset depending on the season. You must call the local operator to schedule your departure time. Your booking is not confirmed until then.
Barnstormer Flight (20 minutes): This quick, exhilarating flight provides spectacular views of San Diego's major sights.
Del Mar Run (30 minutes): Fly down the San Diego coast to the Del Mar Fairgrounds, where the San Diego County Fair takes place. Plus, admire the lavish homes in Rancho Santa Fe.
Torrey Tour (40 minutes): Take in sensational beach views from Carlsbad to Torrey Pines.
Surf's Up Beach Flight (50 minutes): See the entire coast from Oceanside to Pacific Beach on this coastal flight that goes past Del Mar and La Jolla to Mission Bay, then heads back over the magnificent homes in Rancho Santa Fe.
La Jolla Coaster (1 hour): Marvel at breathtaking vistas of Del Mar, La Jolla, Torrey Pines, Mission Bay, Sea World, San Diego Bay, Coronado and Point Loma. This comprehensive flight also includes views of Lake Hodges, Rancho Santa Fe and lovely inland hillsides and lakes.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- Open cockpit biplane ride
Does not include:
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 14 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Some dexterity is required for boarding the aircraft
- Maximum of 2 people per plane
- Please note: If you would like a separate plane for each person, please make individual bookings for each party
- Any 2 passengers on the same booking will share a plane
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- Maximum weight for all passengers combined is 400 lbs (180 kgs/28.5 stone)
- Important: your reservation is not confirmed until you call to reconfirm your details with the local operator. Contact details are provided on your prepaid voucher