Hamilton House is located near Portland Maine in beautiful South Berwick. The structure, built in 1785, is perched on a hilltop overlooking the Salmon Falls River. It is a historical landmark and the management offers tours around the property's gardens. The owner, Jonathan Hamilton found it to be a perfect place for his shipping business. Upon his death, his sons did not carry on the business due to the Jefferson Embargo of 1807 and the war of 1812. The shipping industry throughout New England was crippled at this time. The property was purchased several times after, once as an investment and then by a farmer who raised sheep.
The house and grounds were restored in 1898 by mother and daughter, Ms. Emily and Elizabeth Tyson when they purchased the property for their summer retreat. Today the historical society of New England allows the use of the grounds for wedding ceremonies. There are two whimsical murals that were ordered by the women along with antique furnishings and hand crafted art. The perennial garden is the perfect place for a stroll.
Elizabeth bequeathed the house, upon her death, to Historic New England and in 1949 it became a museum. She left the surrounding woods to the state of Maine and the trails are enjoyed today by many hikers, as Vaughan Woods State Park. Although some of the structures have been removed, whether by natures force or man, the house today is more reminiscent of it's original owner.
When touring the area be sure to visit the famous Powderhouse Hill Ski Slope and the Eastern Trail bike route, both located nearby. Don't miss the sea coast beaches which stretch up and down the New England Coast.