Orchid and Tropical Bonsai Show at Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
Upon entering Palm Court, you'll be surrounded by vibrant colors and fragrances as some of the most beautiful, fascinating orchids in the world delight in beds, baskets and unique hanging sphere displays. The Serpentine Room comes alive with timeless, treasured stories found in the variety of miniature Tropical Bonsai trees on display, showcasing the ancient Japanese art of bonsai amid a lush green backdrop. A rainbow of color engulfs a Sunken Garden filled with fuchsia, lime and peach Phalaenopsis orchids complemented by colorful bromeliads. And the signature Orchid Room displays an abundance of beautiful, rare specimens to explore.
Newly surrounded by tropical displays, our Garden Railroad: Treasure Island provides even more to explore during the show. A display that truly puts the "arr!" in garden, this year's engaging train exhibit continues to delight guests with a fun treasure hunt, pirate jokes and more. Interactive push buttons set miniature locomotives chugging through an island filled with plants, water features and detailed pirate props that all ages will enjoy.
- 15 acres including a 14-room historic Victorian glasshouse and 23 distinct gardens
- Permanent collections of desert plants, ferns, fruit and spice plants, palms, native plants and more
- Glass artworks by Dale Chihuly, Hans Godo Fräbel and Jason Gamrath
- Award-winning on-site café and gift shop
- Cutting-edge sustainable architecture including the Center for Sustainable Landscapes, one of the world's greenest buildings
- Interactive discovery programs for children and public programs for all ages on select dates
- New Tropical Forest Cuba exhibit (daily starting Mon., Feb. 12)
Free parking for our visitors is available in the center island on Schenley Drive. Metered street parking available on either side of Schenley Drive is also free after 6 p.m. Monday — Saturday and all day on Sundays.
Our gardens are wheelchair accessible with the exception of the Stove Room, located in our west wing. Manual wheelchairs are available at admissions free of charge on a first-come, first-served basis. At this time we do not have strollers, wagons or electric wheelchairs for rent.
An average self-guided tour takes at least 90 minutes but visitors can easily spend an entire day enjoying the beauty and serenity of our gardens. Please plan to arrive in plenty of time to complete your exploration before close.
Pickup & Return:
Phipps entrance in Schenley Park, Pittsburgh, PA.
Departure Times: Mondays — Thursdays: 9:30 a.m. — 5 p.m.
- Entrance fee for Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
Does not include:
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately