Elmwood Park Zoo was founded in 1924 after a plot of land was donated to Norristown, Pennsylvania. In the early years it featured only monkeys, bears, peacocks, deer, raccoons, and rabbits. At the beginning of the 1930s, it started expanding its animal exhibits. The zoo has always been supported by the Norristown Zoological Society. For many years it was just volunteers of the society who helped the city who ran the zoo. However, in 1977 the society took over full operations. In 1979 the society instigated the biggest expansion project yet. This expansion included an impressive aviary, The Sensorium, an exhibit for prairie dogs and ferrets, and a large exhibit dedicated to reptiles and amphibians.
Besides the animal exhibits, today’s zoo grounds include the administrative offices, the admission area, the Cougar Café, the Thomas Kimmel Conservation Kingdom, a playground, the Oberkircher Discovery Center, and the Lenore Weiss Nature Shop. This fun, education, family-friendly zoo has more than 500,000 visitors every year.
The zoo management are fully dedicated to a future of continual growth and development. Led by a Board of Directors, the Norristown Zoological Society continues to operate the zoo. The Board of Directors is composed of various business leaders from the Norristown community. The board foresees eventually making the zoo one of the best in the entire world. Do your family a favor and visit the zoo while in the area.