Outer Banks Private Surf Lesson
For those interested in a private surf lesson, your adventure awaits you on the Outer Banks hosted by the acclaimed Farmdog Surf School with professionally trained expert surfers ready to teach even the novice all their tips and tricks to paddle away and ride the waves in Nags Head, North Carolina for about a hour and half of sun and fun.
Attraction Details and Process
Before lessons begin, all participates receive an educational briefing about the safety protocols, a good stretch to get your body muscles prepared, and the necessary paddling and standing stance exercise demonstration to put you at ease and gain confidence, known as, the 'Practice Safe Surf' introduction.
- The group lines up facing the water
- Instructor begins pointing out the qualities of a good wave
- Students then point out the instructor possible wave options
- Paddling begins toward the wave
- At this point, the ride begins by hopping onto the surfboard
During the entire process, personal assistance and encouragement is always present.
Daily lessons begin early in the morning through mid-afternoon, just wear a bathing suit and sunscreen, bring a towel, and to quest your thirst a bottle of water.
- 2500 S Virginia Dare Trl, Nags Head, NC 27959 (is right across the street from the sandy beach)
- Park your vehicle right in the private store lot (don't worry about losing your keys, there kept in store for safe keeping behind the counter)
- Choose a time from 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. (arrive 15 minutes early to sign all the paperwork, get your wet-suit and put it on, and receive the appropriate surfboard)
- Invigorating experience lasts about 90-minutes
Take the initial plunge to explore the exhilarating sport of surfboarding with a 90-minute lesson with a trained surf instructor. You'll be able to take your new skill and join other surfers in the water wherever and whenever you vacation and impress your friends. Of course, we're a bit partial and believe Nags Head in North Carolina has some of the most irresistible, splashy waves!
This private surf lesson meets at a centrally located shop in Nags Head. Park in the shop's lot and leave the car keys behind the counter with a staff member so belongings remain safe. After meeting the surf instructor(s), he/she will help the sign-in process for the class and get suited up in a wetsuit (if necessary). After suiting up, the instructor will select the proper surfboards for everyone involved. Afterwards, head across the road to the beach in Nags Head.
From there, the instructor will provide an overview of the lesson. He/she will lead through the surf school's 'Practice Safe Surf' safety protocols, help with some stretching exercises, and give an on-beach demonstration of proper paddling and standing-up techniques. After the demonstration, try some paddling and popping up skills for the instructor, who will offer tips and pointers to help through the process. At this point, it time to head into the water.
Upon hitting the water, the instructor will help students on to their boards to start paddling. Head out to the 'line up' where the instructor will help each person individually catch their own waves. The process includes helping the student identify good waves, when to start paddling for a wave, the proper way to line up the wave, and of course, when to pop up after catching the wave. If help is needed getting back out, the instructor will be there to help.
Overall, get about 90-minutes of surfing and a lifetime worth of great memories.
Pickup & Return:
Farmdog Surf School, LLC.
Departure Times: 8am, 10am, Noon, and 2pm
- All taxes, fees, and handling charges
- All activities
- Professional guide
- Private tour
Does not include:
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is six years old
- It is recommended to bring appropriate swimwear such as a bathing suit, towel, and sunscreen
- There are never more than two students per private instructor