Newport Viking Trolley Tour with Admission to The Breakers and Marble House
This fun-filled, four-hour adventure tour will have you travelling in a charming, well-kept Viking trolley along the magnificent tree-lined, ancient streets of Newport, Rhode Island, with a lovely, narrated, local guide sharing their insights and humor with you and the others joining you. You will walk through exquisite, historical mansions and lovely, landscaped, pristine gardens with an array of gorgeous flowers and shrubbery to admire the elegance of a gone-by era.
The afternoon begins at 12:30 p.m. (Be certain to arrive 15 minutes early to the Newport Visitor Center to catch your trolley ride.) As you're taken down the streets of the famous Ten-Mile Ocean Drive and the lavish Bellevue Avenue, while sitting comfortably in your trolley with large windows for perfect viewing, you'll immediately notice the abundance of extraordinary, lavishly, preserved estates sprawled out block after block. At this point, you'll surely become even more excitedly filled with anticipation to arrive at your first destination stop to go inside one of these spectacularly posh residences of the famously, renowned, Vanderbilt family. An example of what you will visit on your fantastic adventure outing includes the following:
- Marble House - A combination of architectural inspirations of Gothic, Renaissance and Neoclassicism (French) with its striking use of glass and iron, constructed back in the late 1880s, referred to as a, Summer Cottage. Of course, when we imagine a summer cottage, it is much more of a simple structure. This is not the case, when the wealthy had residences specifically used for certain times of the year or for the holidays, the term, Summer Cottage was (and sometimes remains to this day) a status symbol.
- The Breakers - Erected back in the early 1890s, a striking representation of Italian and French style and form, and what is particularly interesting to note about this mansion is the absence of any wood used to build this home (fires were extremely common), instead the use of steel became the mandate.
One could go on and on about all the unique characteristics of the mansion features within the interior of these beauties. Instead, of simply reading a description take your own guided tour. You'll be in awe of the vast richness of details. Matter of fact, you could return several times and find a new discovery of masterful elegance upon each new visit. Plus, the ride on the trolley adds an extra loveliness on your delightfully guided four-hour tour.
At 12:30pm, meet your professional and friendly guide at the Newport Visitor Center, located at 23 America's Cup Avenue. Board the trolley and make yourself comfortable to begin your 4-hour trolley tour.
As your knowledgeable guide narrates the incredible history of Newport, admire the beautiful buildings and restored homes you pass. As you ride the trolley, hear over 150 points of interest. Soak in the charming atmosphere of Newport as you go down Ten-Mile Ocean Drive and tree-lined Bellevue Avenue.
Continue your tour with admission to the Vanderbilt Mansions, Marble House and The Breakers. Take a stroll on the immaculate grounds while marveling at the intricate architecture of the mansions. Venture inside to explore the homes of the Vanderbilt family and stand where they once did.
Hear the stories and see the history of Newport on this 4-hour trolley and mansion tour as one of the most exciting parts of your Newport vacation.
Pickup & Return:
Newport Visitor Center.
Departure Times: 12:30pm
- Transportation by trolley
- Fully Narrated tour
- Admission to Vanderbilt Mansions
- Professional guide
Does not include:
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible