The Octagon in New York City, NY
The Octagon's design incorporated blue-gray stone that was quarried on Roosevelt Island, where the building stands. It featured a spiraling staircase that rose from a beautiful glass-brick floor.
The Octagon became the Metropolitan Hospital in 1894. The hospital closed in 1955, and the building was neglected. Two wings were demolished, and a series of fires destroyed the domed roof. Although it was doubtful that The Octagon would survive, it joined the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
In 2006, hope was restored to The Octagon. Becker + Becker Associates redesigned the building into a residential community, with studio homes and 3-bedroom penthouses. The building has been restored to its original grandeur, while the landscaping has brought back to life the natural beauty of the site.
107/111 Grand Street in New York City
110 Kent Ave in New York
116th Street in New York City
14th Street in New York City
216 W 116th St in New York
222 W. 134th Street in New York