Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture in New York City, NY
This institution collects, preserves and provides access to the public of materials documenting black life. It promotes the study and the interpretation of African people's history and culture. There are three connected buildings in the center: the Schomburg Building, the Langston Hughes Building and the Landmark Building.
The center opened in 1925 and won international acclaim a year later for the personal collection of Arturo Alfonso Schomburg, the Puerto-Rican-born black scholar and bibliophile. Arturo's collection consisted of over 5,000 books, 3,000 manuscripts; 2,000 etchings and paintings and several thousand pamphlets.
Originally, the center was named The Division of Negro Literature, History and Prints. In 1940, it was renamed the Schomburg Collection of Negro Literature, History and Prints. It wasn't until the 70s that it became the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, after it was designated a part of The Research Libraries of The New York Public Library.
Collections in the center include artworks, audio and video tapes, pieces of literature, motion picture films, photographs, prints, recorded music discs and sheet music.