Grand Army Plaza in Central Park in New York City, NY
The idea for such a plaza was first proposed by sculptor Karl Bitter in 1898. It was designed by Beaux-Arts architecture firm Carrère and Hastings and completed in 1916. The New York City Board of Aldermen named it Grand Army Plaza in 1923 after the Grand Army of the Potomac.
The plaza's northern half, carved out of the very southeasternmost corner of Central Park, has a golden equestrian statue of William Tecumseh Sherman designed by Augustus Saint-Gaudens. Sherman sits astride behind 'Victory', her one hand holding a palm frond and the other pointing the way forward. Temporary sculpture exhibits are often mounted on this side of the plaza.
The southern half features the Bitter-designed 'Pulitzer Fountain of Abundance' contributed by publisher Joseph Pulitzer. It is topped with a bronze statue of the Roman goddess Pomona, also designed by Bitter.
The plaza underwent a $3.7 million renovation in 1990. The world-famous Plaza Hotel sits on its southwest corner.
Bear Mountain Bridge
Central Park Lake
Coindre Hall near New York, NY