The Faith Temple Church of God in Christ was founded and organized with a membership of 30 in the fall of 1948, under the leadership of Dr. Alvin A. Childs, along with his wife, Mrs. Mildred B. Childs. The newest and fastest growing church moved into Imperial Elks Hall on 129th Street, where evangelistic services were held at two-week intervals. The early stages of the church’s location were transitory, moving from one place to another until the summer of 1949.
Dr. Childs brought a huge circus tent from Chicago and erected it on 124th and St. Nicholas Avenue where the people gathered nightly for eight weeks by the thousands. From the tent the church leased quarters at 236 W. 116th Street where services continued until a permanent location was secured.
The Lido Theatre located at 1763 Amsterdam Avenue at the top of Sugar Hill became the permanent home of The Faith Temple Church of God in Christ for $175,000. On Mother’s Day, May 1952, a triumphant march was led by Bishop Alvin A. Childs, as the church moved to its new and present home.