Overlooking the Lake lies the peaceful Cherry Hill, located at 72nd Street. Though the Hill itself was named for the beautiful cherry blossom trees that bloom there during the springtime, the area is most noted for its 14-foot fountain.
The Cherry Hill Fountain, first unveiled in 1860, was originally designed to function as a watering trough for horses. Though no horses drink from the Fountain today, they and their carriages still frequent the area, available for park-goers who wish to take a scenic drive in one of these old-fashioned vehicles. The Fountain was designed by Jacob Wrey Mould, the designer of the Bethesda Fountain, which lies to the west. The Cherry Hill Fountain can be recognized by its decorative glass lamps and globes.