Audubon Aquarium of the Americas
Visit the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas for the best activity for kids in New Orleans and you can learn all about the underwater creatures of North and South America in a fun and interactive environment. The aquarium is home to a 30-foot long aquatic tunnel that brings you up close and personal with the aquatic creatures that call the aquarium home. You'll also get to see animals such as seahorse, jellyfish, sharks, frogs, penguin, sea otter, lion fish, spiny lobsters, exotic birds, stingrays, Louisiana swamp animals, and much more for a great experience with the whole family!
There are many different exhibits at the aquarium including sights of endangered species and exotic creatures like the geaux fish that you can enjoy during your visit such as:
- Giant Screen Theater - The Entergy Giant Screen Theater shows amazing 4k adventures through different feature-length films. Regular tickets are included with admission to the Aquarium.
- Escape Extinction: Sharks - This fun journey takes place on board the SS Audubon where you will experience a variety of games and puzzles so you can save the sharks and get to the escape pod to complete your mission.
- Amazon Rainforest - Get an inside look into the Amazon rainforests. Meet some of the exotic fish from the area including pacu fish, freshwater stingrays, and piranhas! There are also free-flying birds in the exhibit to look for.
- Deep Grotto - Enjoy searching in the deep grotto exhibit to see the California moray eels located in this fun exhibit.
- Great Maya Reef - Enjoy a fun adventure into an underwater Maya city. Journey through a 30-foot-long tunnel to see ruins and exotic sea animals including lionfish, lobsters, and moray eels. This Caribbean reef style exhibit is gorgeous.
- Gulf of Mexico Exhibit - With over 400,000 gallons of water, the Gulf of Mexico exhibit is the largest exhibit at the aquarium. The exhibit includes a quarter-scale replica of an offshore oil rig as well as a 17 feet deep tank of saltwater that is filled with sharks, sea turtles, and stingrays.
- Jellies - Explore these wonderful creatures at the Jellies exhibit which is home to 8 different species of jellyfish.
- Living in Water - This colorful exhibit has beautiful exhibits featuring royal blue tans, lionfish, and clownfish so you can spot Nemo and Dory with the family!
- Mississippi River - This exhibit is set above the river itself for amazing views. The exhibit also features creatures that call this river home such as sturgeon, paddlefish, alligators, and catfish!
- Parakeet Pointe - Sea creatures aren't all that's at the aquarium. It also has hundreds of beautiful exotic parakeets. Food is available for purchase so you can give the birds a delicious snack for a better experience in this fantastic exhibit.
- Penguins Exhibit - The penguin exhibit has more than 20 African Penguins that you can enjoy watching waddle around and play. Feedings occur daily so you can ask questions and watch them chow on some delicious grub.
- Sea Otter Exhibit - The Sea Otter exhibit is home to two rescued otter residents. The habitat includes two large swimming pools, a waterfall, and rock nooks for these two fun critters to enjoy.
- Seahorses - Watch these amazing creatures gracefully glide in the water. The exhibit also includes many types of seahorses as well as exotic pipefish.
- Sting ray Touchpool - Get a hands-on experience with the Stingray Touchpool where you can touch these gentle creatures and they come to the surface to meet you. During feeding times, guests even have the opportunity to feed these beautiful animals.
Other exciting attractions at the New Orleans aquarium include a hurricane simulator, in which you can feel gusts of wind reach 79 miles per hour in 60 seconds, take pictures of your family members riding a wave, or a shark, and meet up with some of the slimiest, stinkiest, grossest creatures in the animal kingdom. There's so much to do at the Audubon Aquarium, and you can also add to your experience by visiting the other area attractions such as the zoo, and Entergy Giant ScreenTheatre with the Audubon Experience for a great New Orleans family vacation package. There are, of course, other awesome adventures too like the French Quarter walking tours and the Audubon Butterfly Garden. So when you aren't snapping a pic with an alligator, chilling with an African penguin, or petting a stingray, you will be entertained in NOLA!
- Approximately how long could a customer plan to spend at Audubon Aquarium of the Americas?
Most guests spend 4-7 hours at the museum.
- What amenities are available?
There is multiple dining and a gift shop on-site.
- Is Audubon Aquarium of the Americas handicap accessible?
Yes, it is handicap accessible.
- Is photography & video recording allowed?
Both photography & video recording is allowed.
- For what ages is Audubon Aquarium of the Americas appropriate?
Attraction is appropriate for all ages.
- Is parking available at Audubon Aquarium of the Americas?
Paid parking lots and garages are available nearby.
Friday, 10/23/2020 - Sunday, 10/25/2020Location: Boo at the Zoo at Audubon Zoo
For fun places in New Orleans Louisiana visit during the family fun event.