The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson
Take a tour of President Andrew Jackson's beloved Nashville estate, which has been preserved as both a museum and historic home in which visitors can stroll along and learn about the history of the Music City area.
The property, purchased by Andrew Jackson in 1804, includes the mansion, several outbuildings, and the modest (although expensively decorated) log farmhouse that Jackson and his wife Rachel lived in for the first sixteen years of their land ownership. You'll learn how Jackson thrived in farming (with the help of slaves, who eventually numbered as many as 150) while balancing his military and political careers. You can also follow the story of Jackson's life by examining the buildings that were built as his wealth grew, including the mansion which was completed in 1820.
As an avid horseman, Jackson quickly added stables for his racing and stud 'hobby.' Romantics will recognize the makings of a true love story as they explore the garden Jackson designed for his wife Rachel Jackson. This same garden, which includes the same flower species Rachel originally planted, also serves as the final resting place for the Presidential couple.
Admission Price Includes:
- The Hermitage Mansion guided tour with costumed historical interpreters throughout the house to provide information and answer questions
- The Andrew Jackson Visitor Center: A 15-minute introductory film about Andrew Jackson and The Hermitage, plus exhibits on the Jackson Family and the Hermitage. (Includes changing/visiting exhibits)
- The Hermitage Grounds self-guided tour of The Garden, Tomb, Alfred's Cabin, and 'Beyond the Mansion' sites related to slavery, farming, and nature.
- Approximately how long could a customer plan to spend at The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson?
Guests spend about 3 hours here.
- Does The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson accommodate languages other than English?
Printed translations of the mansion tour are available in Spanish, German, French, Russian and Japanese.
- What amenities are available?
There are various food options throughout the museum.
- Are wheelchairs and strollers available?
Wheelchairs are available free of charge.
- Is The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson handicap accessible?
- Is photography & video recording allowed?
- For what ages is The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson appropriate?
Great for all ages.
- Is parking available at The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson?
Yes. Parking is free.