The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson
Take a tour of President Andrew Jackson's beloved Nashville estate, which has been painstakingly preserved as both a museum and historic home.
The property, purchased by Andrew Jackson in 1804, includes the mansion, several outbuildings, and the modest (although expensively decorated) log farmhouse that Jackson and his wife Rachel lived in for the first sixteen years of their land ownership. You'll learn how Jackson thrived in farming (with the help of slaves, who eventually numbered as many as 150) while balancing his military and political careers. You can also follow the story of Jackson's life by examining the buildings that were built as his wealth grew, including the mansion which was completed in 1820.
As an avid horseman, Jackson quickly added stables for his racing and stud 'hobby.' Romantics will recognize the makings of a true love story as they explore the garden Jackson designed for his wife Rachel Jackson. This same garden, which includes the same flower species Rachel originally planted, also serves as the final resting place for the Presidential couple.
Admission Price Includes:
- The Hermitage Mansion guided tour with costumed historical interpreters throughout the house to provide information and answer questions
- The Andrew Jackson Visitor Center: A 15-minute introductory film about Andrew Jackson and The Hermitage, plus exhibits on the Jackson Family and the Hermitage. (Includes changing/visiting exhibits)
- The Hermitage Grounds self-guided tour of The Garden, Tomb, Alfred's Cabin, and 'Beyond the Mansion' sites related to slavery, farming, and nature.
- What is included in the admission price for The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson?
Includes all of the exhibits.
- Approximately how long could a customer plan to spend at The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson?
Guests spend about 2 hours here.
- Does The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson accommodate languages other than English? If so, which languages?
The Hermitage has printed translations of the mansion tour in Spanish, German, French, Russian and Japanese. The Hermitage welcomes foreign language interpreters.
- What amenities (such as ATM, gift shop, etc) are available?
There are various food options throughout the museum.
- Are wheelchairs and strollers available? Is there a rental fee?
Wheelchairs are available free of charge for those unable to walk around the grounds.
- Is The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson handicap accessible?
- Is photography & video recording allowed?
- For what ages is The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson appropriate?
Great for all ages.
- Is parking available at The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson? Is it free?
Yes. Parking is free.