Kentucky Derby Museum General Admission
The Kentucky Derby Museum has the history of the race and much of the thoroughbred racing culture in one place. You have to come on this tour to see what these horses are all about, and you also get to take some amazing pictures of the history of this race. The Churchill Downs are is filled with the racing spirit, and you start feeling so much better about the way that you have planned your vacation.
A good vacation out to Kentucky includes this tour because it shows you how the most famous horse race in the world came to be. You are taught everything from how the grounds are kept to the history of the horses that have run this race. You might have researched this before, and all the information is right in front of you.
The people who work the museum can answer your questions, and there are many interactive exhibits that would make your tour even more exciting. You simply need to plan to come to this museum and commit at least a couple hours to it. Even the kids will enjoy it, and there are some activities that kids will really like.
You should get your tickets for the museum online, and you can look at a layout to see what would be most interesting to you. You might want to stay for the races that day, or you could come the weekend of the derby.
There are a lot of reasons to love the Kentucky Derby, and they are all found in this magical museum.
Located in Louisville, the Kentucky Derby is one of America's most exciting horse racing events in the world and takes place at Churchill Downs Racetrack. It is the first leg of the American Triple Crown and is known as 'The Most Exciting Two Minutes In Sports' because of the actual duration of the race. Some like to call the race 'The Run for the Roses' for the blanket of roses draped over the Derby winner.
When you visit, you will enjoy a self-guided tour of the Kentucky Derby Museum, which includes two levels of family-friendly interactive permanent & temporary exhibits. Ten minutes past each hour, you will have the opportunity to see 'The Greatest Race,' an 18-minute movie about the Kentucky Derby and its history, a story that puts you right in the heart of the first Saturday of May. Immediately following 'The Greatest Race' and at 30-minutes past every hour, you will experience an exhilarating 30-minute guided walking tour of historic Churchill Downs Racetrack and witness where some of the most famous teams of jockeys and Thoroughbreds competed such as Secretariat, Barbaro, Big Brown, California Chrome and the most recent Triple Crown winner- American Pharoah.
Pickup & Return:
Kentucky Derby Museum.
Departure Times: Museum Hours:
Monday - Saturday, March 15 - November 30: 8am - 5pm
Monday - Saturday, December 1 - March 14: 9am - 5pm
Sunday, year round: 11am - 5pm
The Historic Walking Tour departs at 30 minutes past the hour, every hour during normal operation.
- Entrance fees
- Professional guide
- Walking tour
Does not include:
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A small amount of walking is involved if you choose to enjoy the historic walking tour of Churchill Downs
- Wheelchair accessible: Free wheelchair rentals are available on a first-come, first-served basis upon request. You are welcome to bring your own manual wheelchair, motorized wheelchair or electric mobility scooter.
- An induction loop is available for hearing impaired.
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund.
- Parking is available in front of the Museum. On race days during the Churchill Downs Racetrack events, there will be a charge for parking in this lot.