Located in Louisville, the Kentucky Derby is one of America's most exciting horse racing events in the world and takes place at Churchill Downs Racetrack. It is the first leg of the American Triple Crown and is known as "The Most Exciting Two Minutes In Sports" because of the actual duration of the race. Some like to call the race "The Run for the Roses" for the blanket of roses draped over the Derby winner.
When you visit, you will enjoy a self-guided tour of the Kentucky Derby Museum, which includes two levels of family-friendly interactive permanent & temporary exhibits. Ten minutes past each hour, you will have the opportunity to see "The Greatest Race," an 18-minute movie about the Kentucky Derby and its history, a story that puts you right in the heart of the first Saturday of May. Immediately following "The Greatest Race" and at 30-minutes past every hour, you will experience an exhilarating 30-minute guided walking tour of historic Churchill Downs Racetrack and witness where some of the most famous teams of jockeys and Thoroughbreds competed such as Secretariat, Barbaro, Big Brown, California Chrome and the most recent Triple Crown winner- American Pharoah.
Pickup & Return:
Kentucky Derby Museum.
Departure Times: Museum Hours:
Monday - Saturday, March 15 - November 30: 8am - 5pm
Monday - Saturday, December 1 - March 14: 9am - 5pm
Sunday, year round: 11am - 5pm
The Historic Walking Tour departs at 30 minutes past the hour, every hour during normal operation.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- Entrance fees
- Professional guide
- Walking tour
Does not include:
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A small amount of walking is involved if you choose to enjoy the historic walking tour of Churchill Downs
- Wheelchair accessible: Free wheelchair rentals are available on a first-come, first-served basis upon request. You are welcome to bring your own manual wheelchair, motorized wheelchair or electric mobility scooter.
- An induction loop is available for hearing impaired.
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund.
- Parking is available in front of the Museum. On race days during the Churchill Downs Racetrack events, there will be a charge for parking in this lot.