Harry S. Truman Little White House
If walls could talk, the Truman Little White House in Key West would have a lot to say. Since 1890, history has been leaving its mark in this beautiful home. When it was first built, it served as the headquarters for naval officers during the Spanish-American War and both World Wars. It became the 'winter White House' for President Truman from 1946 to 1952 and he logged eleven total trips to the home. Various other presidents have used the home for meetings and retreats. Today, it is a living museum for the public and a meeting place and retreat for government officials.
Other various visits include...
- William Howard Taft: December 12, 1912.
- President Eisenhower: He was recovering from a heart attack. December 27, 1955 - January 7, 1956.
- John. F. Kennedy: March 26, 1961 & November 26, 1962.
- Jimmy Carter & family: December 31, 1996 & December 29, 2007.
- Bill Clinton & Hillary Clinton: 2005
- Thomas Edison & Edward Hayden
- and many other government officials!
Since the Little White House is a living museum, it is not focused on one specific historic event. Approximately 80-90% of the furniture in the museum are original; you'll get a true look at the lives of those who have stayed in the home. There is also a gorgeous Botanical Garden that has almost an acre of trees and plants. Stroll through the garden and picture yourself in a different time period. You'll learn new things about our country and the people who have stayed in the home! Tours are offered every 15 to 20 minutes from 9 am to 4:30 pm and are fully narrated by professional guides. You can also visit the Little White House Museum Store for gifts. Enjoy tons of other great activities and tours during your next Florida Keys getaway!
- Approximately how long could a customer plan to spend at Harry S. Truman Little White House?
Tours are approximately 45 minutes.
- Does Harry S. Truman Little White House accommodate languages other than English?
Printed scripts are available with the purchase of your ticket in Czech, French, German, Japanese, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish. Translators are given free admission when accompanying a group of 6 or more.
- What amenities are available?
There is a gift shop.
- Is photography & video recording allowed?
No; cameras and recording are not allowed.
- For what ages is Harry S. Truman Little White House appropriate?
This is great for all ages.
- Is parking available at Harry S. Truman Little White House?
Yes, free parking is available at the location.