Whale Watching, Mendenhall Glacier, and Tracy's King Crab Shack Combo Tour
Whale Watching is a great experience for people of all ages, and although it can be time consuming the memories that you make while on that adventure will stay with you for a life time. The whale watching and crab shack combo tour is a trip that you won’t soon forget about if you go. The trip is a total of six hours in length but the whale sighting is two hours on the boat. On the boat you will be sitting in luxury while watching for whales. There will be a speaker on board that will be able to tell you about the whales and their normal behavior that they do. While they can’t control the whales they do guarantee that you will get to see at least one whale or you will get your money back for the trip. With that guarantee you have nothing to lose and only memories to gain.
The tour brings you around the area so that you get to be more than just on the water but you get to know about the area as well. If you need to be picked up from the hotel for the tour that is something you need to mention ahead of time so that they know to pick you up and where. After the tour is over you will be taken to the crab shack where you will get to enjoy a wonderful meal included in the price of the whale watching tour. The excursion is family friendly and a great way to spend your vacation.
Once you check-in with our dock representative, let's get you started you on your tour!
For our morning shore excursion, you're whisked off to the boat harbor for a 2 hour on the water guaranteed whale spotting. On-board our custom-made whale watching tour boat, enjoy wide viewing windows in a heated cabin and yes, there is a 'head' for your convenience . Once our informative and delightful captain spots the whales, the boat slows and out you go on our spacious decks to watch these beasts in their natural summer habitat. Your Naturalists' commentary is full of information about our Humpback whales and other possible wildlife such as Stellar Sea Lions, Dall's Porpoises, Bald Eagles. A real bonus if you see a transient Orca whale.
Our humpback whales come to feed in our cool, rich waters near Auke Bay for the summer. We do guarantee a whale sighting or a $100 refund if a whale is not spotted. Although we can't guarantee what the humpbacks can do - you will be delighted if they tail-slap, head lunge, breach, or gather for bubble-net feeding.
After our morning excursion - we transfer you by bus to the spectacular Mendenhall Glacier - one of more than 38 glaciers as part of the Juneau Ice Fields. If you have the time, take the Nugget Creek Falls trail (1 hr 15 min round trip), the Photo Point Trail (20 min. round trip) or Steep Creek (10 min, walk) for possible fish spawning and other wildlife.
The Mendenhall Visitor Center is included in your tour - take advantage of the short film and the interactive displays along with the spectacular view at an elevated level.
Our convenient half-hourly shuttle bus located at the Bear Stop will take you back to port. Please be aware of your all aboard time - it does take approximately 30 minutes back to town.
Once you're back in town, make your way to Juneau's Original King Crab Shack. Enjoy their combo meal which includes a meaty King Crab leg, yummy crab cakes, and the oh-so-delicious bisque! Beer and wine are available for purchase.
Afternoon whale and glacier excursions may be reversed with a shuttle to the glacier first - this schedule offers more time at the glacier. We will pick you up at the glacier at your appointed time for whale-watching, then drop-off back in town for your meal.
Pickup & Return:
- Check-in with our dock representatives in front of the Mt. Roberts Tramway.
- All docks are within a 10 minute walking distance, except one - that dock provides a 'Downtown' shuttle.
- Mt. Roberts Tramway
- Tracy's Crab Shack Express is very close to the drop-off location, just steps away
Departure Times: Tour options are by Check-In time.
Your tour will depart within 15 to 30 minutes from check-in time
- All transfers between Port to Boat Harbor and Mendenhall Glacier and shuttle return
- Informative Professional Driver Guide during transfers
- Naturalist on Whale Tour
- Bottled water and a light snack aboard the whale boat.
- Entrance to the Mendenhall Glacier Park
- King Crab Combo Meal at Juneau's Original King Crab Shack - King Crab Leg; Crab Cakes, Lobster Bisque
Does not include:
- Food and Drinks are not available or allowed at the Mendenhall Glacier Park.
- Drinks at Tracy's are not included
- Gratuities (although greatly appreciated)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Departure is within 15 to 30 minutes of check-in
- The meeting place is under the cables in front of the Mt. Roberts Tramway
- All ports or docks are within 10 minutes walking distances, except one - the A Dock - which provides a shuttle to the Mt. Roberts Tramway
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- At time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: Ship Name
- A moderate amount of walking is involved.
- Collapsible wheelchairs can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark. Must be able to take 3 steps in/out of bus.
- Tour operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately - dress in layers and the likely chance of rain.
- We do guarantee a whale sighting or a $100 refund if a whale is not spotted.