Door County Wetlands Kayak Tour
After learning how to paddle your sit-on-top tandem kayak, you have two hours on the water to practice your new skills. You will feel the freedom and excitement that only comes from gliding across the water in a kayak. If you are a beginner or have children in your group, then you will benefit from taking this tour before trying our Cave tour or Bluff tour.
The Inuit originally built the kayak over 4,000 years ago to hunt on lakes and rivers. Traditionally, the Inuit built the kayak to be about 17 feet long (three times the length of the builders outstretched arms), 20-22 inches wide (the width of the builders hips plus two fists) and 7 inches deep (the size of his fist with his thumb pointing up). They were made with a wooden frame that had a stitched seal skin covering.
Modern kayaks are very different from the original ones. They are longer (19 feet), and 42 inches wide. They are often used for sports, fishing and photography, among many other things.
Today, there are several different types of kayaks. This tour uses the sit on top kayak, which are generally used for touring and extreme sports, as well as fishing and scuba diving. They are often made from polyethylene to make sure it remains strong.
Experience the joy of kayaking with your family as you learn this ancient tradition. You will make memories that will last a lifetime!
- This is a great tour for beginners or first-time kayakers!
- Sit-on-top kayaks are stable, safe and easy to paddle.
- You will spend two hours on water — not too much, not too little!
- This tour is a great way to prepare your kayaking skills for our Bluff Tour or Cave Tour
- As we use sit on top tandem kayaks, our tours are great for kids ages 5+ and beginner paddlers! If you have no experience and want to gain some, we recommend joining our Wetlands Kayak Tour before you embark on our Cave Kayak Tour.
Pickup & Return:
Rieboldt's Creek - Mud Lake Near Moonlight Bay in Bailey's Harbor.
Departure Times: 2:00pm
- Professional guide,
- Life jacket
- 2 person kayak
- Paddle lesson and safety instructions
Does not include:
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Operates in most weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Recommend you wear swimsuit, windbreaker jacket, or lightly layered synthetic clothing
- Bring sunglasses, hat, sunscreen, waterproof camera, bottle water, bug repellent, towel, and extra change of clothes
- Bottled water, t-shirts, paddling gloves, and waterproof phone case all available for purchase