The Journey Museum - Rapid City
Located near downtown Rapid City, The Journey Museum tells the story of the people who first shaped the area's history and the scientists who study the Western Great Plains region. The major collections of prehistoric and historic significance bring visitors through the times of dinosaurs, the Lakota peoples, the pioneers, and today. At the Journey Museum, you will have the opportunity to explore the past in a fascinating and interactive way.
Collections and Museums:
- Museum of Geology - See how the Black Hills has taken shape during the past 2.5 billion years. Touch a dinosaur bone, observe geologists at work, and view life-size dinosaur fossils and replicas in realistic settings.
- Archaeological Research Center - Experience the cultures of historic and prehistoric peoples. Visit an archaeological dig and view 10,000 years of artifacts from ancient hunters to the region's first miners.
- Sioux Indian Museum - Gain an understanding of the history and culture of the Lakota Nation. Sit by a tipi and listen to the tales and traditions of the Lakota from a storyteller. Learn how the tribe lived, worked, played, and hunted from Lakota elders and descendants.
- Minnilusa Pioneer Museum - Experience the arrival of the first European settlers in the Western Great Plains through artifacts from mountain men, military, miners, and story walls that tell the tale of their arrival through the modern day reconciliation with Wounded Knee. Meet the historic figures that played such an important role in the history of the area such as General Custer, Jim Bridger, Wild Bill Hickok, Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse and Red Cloud.
- The Duhamel Collection of Native American Artifacts -An extensive collection of Sioux arts and crafts.