Grand Canyon Hermit Road Bicycle Tour
Experience the wonder of the Grand Canyon, located in Arizona, as a cyclist on the Grand Canyon Hermit Road Bicycle Tour. Grand Canyon National Park is over 1 million acres in Northwest Arizona, offering wondrous sites, historical significance, and hiking and other opportunities. Explore the south rim of the canyon on this 3-and-a-half-hour tour. Helmets, transportation to and from Hermit Road from the Grand Canyon Visitors Center, and exchanges for child friendly bike options, such as exchanges for a trailer if a child has difficulty on the ride, are included. Due to the landscape, participants with back injuries, those who are pregnant, or those with other serious medical conditions should not participate. There are height restrictions enforced, as well, to ensure the safety of all participants.
The bike shuttle will transport cyclists past the difficult and mountainous section of the road to the flat road, where riders will have the opportunity to explore the next 5-mile portion of the road from Hopi Point to Hermit’s Rest. Closed to cars, this scenic route provides multiple picture opportunities over picturesque lookouts while a guide provides information about the area. Ending at Hermit’s Rest, home to the historic bell signifying the front of one of the Mary Jane Colter buildings, a group of 4 historical buildings designed by their namesake, riders will have an opportunity to explore the surroundings area.
The Grand Canyon Hermit Bicycle Tour is a wonderful way to experience the majestic atmosphere of the Grand Canyon. Experience the canyon from Hermit Road, ending at the Hermit’s Rest, one of the most magnificent locations in the area bicycle, allowing for a more personal experience, away from the crowds!
For a great scenic bike ride at the Grand Canyon National Park, the Hermit Road Tour is perfect for those wanting to explore the rim by bike and avoid the big crowds.
On this tour, the bike shuttle transports cyclists past the challenging uphill section of the road to begin riding the 5-mile flat portion of the road (closed to public traffic) and greenways from Hopi Point to Hermit's Rest. The tour proceeds westward for 5.5 miles (9 km) of low intensity riding; stopping at jaw-dropping lookouts along the way to take in the sights and hear interesting information about the natural and human history of the area.
The tour ends at Hermit's Rest where you can take your picture with the historic bell that graces the entrance to the 1914 Mary Jane Colter building. The structure was designed to provide shelter, food, and curios for tourists at the end of the West Rim Drive in the early tourism days at Grand Canyon. From Hermit's rest our van will return you and your bikes to our location at the Visitor Center.
Please note: this tour is seasonal and only operates available between March and October.
Pickup & Return:
All tours depart from the Grand Canyon Visitor Center. Bike Rental/Tour building located within the plaza.
Bright Angel Bicycles building - Grand Canyon Visitor Center.
Departure Times: 10 AM Departure (9:30 AM arrival)
2 PM Departure (1:30 PM arrival)
3 PM Departure (2;30 PM arrival)
- Round trip Bike shuttle
- Guided interpretation
- Child bike equipment exchanges if necessary. (I.E child is unable to safely ride. Exchange for trailer or tag along)
Does not include:
- Entrance fees
- Gratuities (recommended)
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Not recommended for participants with back problems
- Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant women
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- All passenger heights MUST be advised at time of booking