The Aurora Borealis, famously known as the Northern Lights, have long captured the imagination of explorers, writers, and visitors to the far northern latitudes near the arctic circle. Caused by the interaction of solar radiation with the Earth's ozone layer, the lights shimmer and radiate a pale green majesty rarely visible outside the cool, dry nights of a northern winter. Now it's your turn to explore these phenomena for yourself.
Your Aurora tour and photography workshop starts at 9:00 p.m. with a pick-up from you Fairbanks-area B&B, Vacation Rental, or Hotel. After meeting your guide and the rest of your group, you will head out of town for a short drive away from the light pollution of Fairbanks and out to the quiet, dry calm of a late fall or winter evening. Along the way, your guide will share insider knowledge of Fairbanks history, Alaskan trivia, and the plants and animals that call the region home.
Once you arrive at your destination, you will spend up to three hours attempting to capture the beauty of the evening sky. Although hard to predict and not always visible, your guide will help position you for the best opportunities to see and photograph this once in a lifetime view. Along with helping you set-up your tripod and position your camera, your guide will teach you methods to maximize your exposure and best utilize the tools at your disposal. If you have the proper DSLR equipment, camera, and tripod, you can bring your own to capture the best views of the evening the sky. Otherwise, your guide is happy to rent you all the equipment you will need for a successful evening. He or she will also provide your choice of a hot beverage such as hot cocoa, tea, or coffee to keep you warm during cool evening temperatures.
After approximately three hours enjoying a breathtaking canvas of bright stars and evening colors, your guide will return you to Fairbanks for an early morning drop off back at your hotel or rental before 3:00 a.m.
Pickup & Return:
Centrally located Fairbanks hotels and rentals.
Departure Times: 9:00 pm
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- 6-hour Northern Lights tour and photography workshop
- Camera, tripod, lenses (if option selected)
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off from select Fairbanks locations
- Hot cocoa, water, or tea
Does not include:
- Gratuities (optional)
- Camera and equipment (if option not selected)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case, confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Operates in Winter, please dress accordingly
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Due to the unpredictable nature of the Aurora Borealis, we cannot guarantee a successful viewing during every trip. Although all efforts will be made to maximize your opportunity, other accommodations will be made in the event of poor visibility