Upon arrival at the airstrip, you will check in at our office and listen to a passenger map briefing to orient you to our location and the flight routes. Your pilot will escort you to one of our comfortable twin engine airplanes and provide a safety orientation to the aircraft before settling each passenger into a window seat. You will depart from the airstrip and in moments cross the Nenana River, the eastern boundary of the National Park. The exact flight route will depend on weather but here are some highlights you can expect:
- Comprehensive views of all the features of the Park that you would otherwise see on a Park bus tour
- Views of the Wickersham Wall, arguably the tallest vertical relief on any mountain in the world. This 14,000 foot sheer wall of ice and snow is the best opportunity you'll have to gain a stunning perspective of the towering size of Denali.
- Intimate views of the glaciers tumbling down Denali's north side, including the Traleika, Brooks and the long-running Muldrow flowing from between the north and south summits at 17,000 feet
- Ridge-hopping the dramatic Carpe and Karstens ridgelines, used by the first climbers to summit Denali
- Close views of the south side glaciers, including the deepest glacier (the Ruth), the longest glacier in the Alaska Range (the Kahiltna), the meandering Tokositna and the colorful Eldridge
- Views of the Great Gorge in the expansive Ruth Amphitheater, with its dramatic 5,000 foot granite walls rising straight from glacial ice almost 4,000 feet thick
- Views of Mount Foraker, Mount Russell, and Mount Hunter, the next 3 tallest mountains in the Alaska Range, rounding out the Denali Family
- Views of the most popular climbing routes and climbing camps at various altitudes (during climbing season)
While this flight focuses heavily on Denali and its immediate vicinity, you will also be able to experience all the striking signature features of the 6 million acres that comprise Denali National Park, including the vivid Polychrome Mountains, the Toklat river basin, and the colorful contrasts of Denali's vast geological displays as you ascend along the spine of the Alaska Range. Prepare to be humbled by this vast, utterly unique and remote Alaskan landscape that is best seen by air in order to appreciate the sheer magnitude of its beauty.
After landing at our airstrip, you will have the opportunity to take pictures of the plane and with the pilot and discuss the flight before boarding the shuttle van to return to your hotel.
Pickup & Return:
Denali National Park entrance area.
Departure Times: 8am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm
7 days a week from mid-May through mid-September
Hotel pickups commence approximately 30 - 60 minutes prior to this time, exact pickup time will be advised on reconfirmation.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Live commentary on board
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Fixed-wing air tour
Does not include:
- Gratuities (at passenger's discretion)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking
- Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat
- The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Denali (Mt. McKinley) is 80 miles away from our airstrip. Weather conditions at the Mountain will often be different from those in our area. Please feel free to call for the current pilot's reports but know that we do not make decisions based on weather until about an hour before flight time. We will always send a driver to pick-up locations with the most up-to date information at the allotted pick-up times. Exact route and specific sights are weather dependent but due to our airstrip's unique location, we are able to access either side of the Alaska Range when others cannot. We have the highest success rate of showing Denali to our guests of any tour option, anywhere.
- Wheelchair accessible, please advise at time of booking if wheelchair assistance is required