A beacon to area visitors, the Biloxi Lighthouse in Biloxi, Mississippi has come to symbolize the strength and courage of the city's residents.
The lighthouse, which is located at 1050 Beach Boulevard, stands close to the Mississippi Sound of the Gulf of Mexico. It is so significant that in 2009 it was commemorated on a United States postage stamp.
Built in 1848, the Biloxi Lighthouse was one of the first cast-iron lighthouses erected in the South. It is also famous for being under the care of female keepers for more years than any other lighthouse in the country. The 64-foot-tall structure came under the jurisdiction of the city of Biloxi in 1968 and shortly thereafter was opened for tours. The lighthouse survived the Civil War but remained dark from 1861 until the end of the conflict so it could not be used as a landmark by Union solders. During the 2005, Hurricane Katrina's storm surged and up to one-third of the lighthouse was battered and submerged in water, and it suffered major damage as a result. It was reopened to the public in 2010 after restoration.
The Biloxi Lighthouse is the only lighthouse in the United States that is located in the middle of a four-lane highway (U.S. 90). It holds the distinction of being one of the most photographed attractions on the Gulf Coast. The lighthouse offers easy access to the shore and Gulf tours.