Horseback Riding on the Fern Forest Trail
Guests of all ages will delight at the chance to take a serene ride down Fern Forest Trail in North Carolina on horseback with the Horseback Riding on the Fern Forest Trail activity.
You'll arrive at a beautiful 200 acre horse farm where you'll learn about horses and take a 50 minute safety training course. Afterwards, you'll be taken to find a horse that will match well with you and you'll be given the proper gear to take your first ride. You'll start out in the ring so you can get comfortable on your horse then head out for Fern Forest Train which is a gentle path that is ideal for any level of rider. Along the way you see scenic cabins that were once an old youth camp as well as dense and lush forests. Birds will sing gently as you head down the trail and you may even get a glimpse of some of the popular local wildlife like deer and turkey.
This activity requires reservations. A complete safety course and all necessary gear including helmets are provided by the company. Each guest must sign an assumption of responsibility form prior to starting the activity. The ride through the trail takes roughly an hour, the safety course and ring time takes at least another hour so plan for a minimum of 2 hours for this event. Ponchos are provided in inclement weather to all guests and a local guide is sent with each trip down the trail.
Take a tour of nature in a new way, on the back of a majestic and gentle horse with Horseback Riding on the Fern Forest Trail.
Meet your guide at Arrowmont Stables and Cabins in Cullowhee North Carolina, which is about a 2-hour drive from Asheville. At this 200-acre (80-hectare) working horse farm you'll get acquainted with equine behavior and riding tips during a 50-minute safety program via training video or live demonstration.
Once you're matched with a suitable horse, snap on your helmet then practice horseback riding in the ring before setting off on the Fern Forest Trail, a gentle path that is suitable for all skill levels. You'll pass by the cabins of an old youth camp and meander through a variety of terrain including a dense fern forest that reaches 3800 feet in elevation.
Listen to birds sing and keep a lookout for a variety of wildlife, including local wild turkeys and deer, before ending your tour back at the stables.
Some RIDING TIPS:
- Horses don't know they are big. That's why we can control them with the bit in their mouth.
- Horses think like little children. They want you to protect them.
- Horses can be very stubborn. Whoever is MOST stubborn wins. You need to be more stubborn than the horse.
Pickup & Return:
Arrowmont Stables & Cabins in Cullowhee.
Returns to original departure point.
Departure Times: 10:00am, 11:00am, 1:00pm, 2:00pm, 3:30pm
Please arrive at the stated time or 5-minutes early.
You will need to complete your Assumption of Responsibility forms At the stated time, your safety program starts. Then you will try your horse out in the ring before going on your trail.
Trail times are in addition to the safety program. So if you choose a 60 minute trail, plan to be here at least 2 hours to cover both the safety and trail times.
Please Note, The safety program starts at your stated trail time, not before it. Your trail immediately follows your safety program. You just need to factor in the time for any activities you are planning after your trail ride.
- Safety orientation
- Horseback ride (based on option selected)
- Use of all equipment (horse, tack, and helmet)
- Use of helmet mandatory for under 18 years old
- Ponchos or rain coats provided for inclement weather
- Majestic Trails with a variety in terrain from 4200 feet elevation at the top to 3400 feet in the valley
- Local guide
Does not include:
- Gratuities (Optional)
- DVD (available to purchase)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Plan an extra 50-60 minutes, in addition to your trail time, for your safety and training program
Please Note: The safety program starts at your stated trail time, not before it. Your trail immediately follows your safety program.
- Your safety program consists of a video or live demonstration covering the horse's training, safety, and horse personality
- You are given a chance to try your horse in the ring before departing. If needed, your horse can be changed before your trail
- Ages need to be given at time of booking so we may assign proper horses
- Closed-toe shoes are required
- Long pants recommended
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult
- Not recommended for pregnant women