Horseback Riding at Arrowmont Stables
Spend a relaxing afternoon with amazing horses when you choose to go
Horseback Riding Adventure on the Flame Azalea Trail .
Your visit will begin with a 50 minute safety program and video which also includes live demonstrations. You'll learn all about horses behavior as well as receive riding tips prior to riding. Once you have completed the safety course you will be matched with a horse that is suitable for your comfort and skill level. You'll don safety gear and spend some time practicing and getting comfortable sitting atop these gentle giants. Once you are comfortable and ready to ride, you'll head off to the Flame Azalea Trail. Your guide will take you through a pine and a hardwood forest, both are surrounded by azaleas. Next you'll enter a wide meadow that goes up to about 4,200 feet in elevations and offers some breathtaking views of Blue Ridge Parkway. It is also an excellent location to view raptors flying in the sky above. Finally, as you come back down the hill you'll pass Old Fort Lodge, once a youth camp established in 1960 but now closed down.
Reservations are required for this event. Please arrive at least 5 minutes earlier than your scheduled time. Each guest must sign and complete an Assumption of Responsibility Form prior to riding. All safety equipment is included in this activity. Ponchos and rain jackets are provided if the weather declines. Each ride includes a professional guide. With the safety course and the ride, please allow a minimum of 2 hours for this event.
Step away from the hustle and bustle of the city and reunite with nature with the scenic and relaxing Horseback Riding Adventure on the Flame Azalea Trail.
Meet your guide at Arrowmont Stables and Cabins in Cullowhee North Carolina, which is about a 2-hour drive from Asheville. Get acquainted with equine behavior and receive riding tips during a 50-minute safety program via training video and live demonstration.
Once you're matched with a suitable horse, snap on your helmet and practice horseback riding in the ring before setting off on the Flame Azalea Trail. Follow your guide through a hardwood and white pine forest flanked by azaleas before you emerge into an open meadow. Reaching 4,200 feet in elevation, you're treated to sweeping views out of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Be on the lookout for wildlife, including raptors soaring above.
On the descent, travel past the Old Fort Lodge and a former youth camp established in 1960 — before ending your tour back at the stables of the 200-acre (80-hectare) working horse farm.
Some RIDING TIPS:
- Horses don't know they are big. That's why we can control them with the bit in their mouth.
- Horses think like little children. They want you to protect them.
- Horses can be very stubborn. Whoever is MOST stubborn wins. You need to be more stubborn than the horse.
Pickup & Return:
Arrowmont Stables & Cabins in Cullowhee.
Returns to original departure point.
Departure Times: 10:00am, 11:00am, 1:00pm, 2:00pm, 3:30pm
Please arrive at the stated time or 5 minutes early.
You will need to complete your Assumption of Responsibilty forms At the stated time Your Safety Program starts Then you will try your horse out in the ring before going on your trail.
Trail times are in addition to the Safety Program. So if you choose a 60 minute trail, plan to be here at least 2 hours to cover both the Safety and Trail times.
Please Note, The Safety Program Starts at your stated trail time, not before it. Your Trail immediately follows your safety program. You just need to factor in the time for any activities you are planning After your trail ride.
- Safety orientation
- Use of all equipment (horse, tack and helmet)
- Ponchos or rain coats provided for inclement weather
- Professional guide
Does not include:
- Gratuities (Optional)
- DVD (available to purchase)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Plan an extra 50-60 minutes, in addition to your trail time, for your safety and training program.
Please Note, The Safety Program Starts at your stated Trail Time, Not before it. Your Trail immediately follows your safety program.
- Your Safety Program consists of a video or live demonstration covering the horse's training, safety and horse personality.
- You are given a chance to try your horse in the ring before departing. If needed, your horse can be changed before your trail.
- Ages need to be given at time of Booking so we may assign proper horses
- Closed-toe shoes are required
- Long pants recommended
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult
- Not recommended for pregnant women
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- If it looks like rain, bring an extra T-shirt and towel