Mackinac Island Romantic Vacation Ideas
The history and charm of Mackinac Island and Mackinaw City makes this area the perfect choice for a romantic getaway. Where else is horse-drawn carriage the normal mode of transportation? If you're looking to get away from it all with that special someone, this is the place to get closer to your sweetheart.
Romantic Mackinac Island Hotels
This hotel, built in 1858, is the island's oldest and most charming hotel. The hotel features an on-site restaurant and pub, on-site specialty shops and a four-story atrium with an indoor heated pool. This romantic escape includes chilled champagne in complimentary champagne glasses and a box of chocolates to enjoy in your private whirlpool room for a romantic evening together. When you're done, the glasses are yours to keep to remember your special time by. You will also receive complimentary breakfast at the hotel's Pilot House restaurant. With everything this hotel has to offer, you'll want to stay snuggled up in your hotel room forever.
Romantic Mackinac Island Tours
One of the most charming aspects of Mackinac Island is that motor vehicles are not permitted on the island. This horse-drawn carriage will take you on a narrated tour of the island and its beauty and history. This 20-seat carriage is the best way to get to the Wings of Mackinac Butterfly Conservatory.
Mackinac Island Romantic Spots
- Wings of Mackinac Butterfly Conservatory. This is the island's only conservatory and is home to lush gardens and exotic butterflies from all over the world. Walk hand in hand with the love of your life and observe butterflies like the Emerald Swallowtail, the Zebra Longwing, the Luna Moth and the Indian Leaf free-flying in this breath-taking habitat. The setting is full of romance and beauty.
- Fort Mackinac. This National Historic Landmark used to serve as a sentinel in the Straights of Mackinac for 115 years. Take a moonlit walk through the historic scenery. The fort was constructed by the British soldiers during the period of the American Revolution.
- Colonial Michilimackinac. Located in Mackinaw City, you can see 18th century life recreated as you watch the detailed re-enactments and see soldiers demonstrate their skills. Stroll through the village and meet village residents.
- Historic Downtown. Mackinac Island used to serve as a commercial depot for fur trappers and traders. Now it is home to five historic buildings that are open for tours. These buildings are the perfect backdrop for a romantic stroll with that special someone. The buildings include the Dr. Beaumot Museum/1820 American Fur Company Store, Biddle House, the Blacksmith Shop, McGulpin House and Mission Church.
- Historic Mill Creek. Mill Creek used to provide sawn lumber for Mackinac Island in the late 1700s. Now this 625-acre state park is home to living demonstrations and a number of scenic trails for visitors to enjoy. Take advantage of these trails by taking your sweetheart by the hand and walking through the beautiful scenery.