Helpful Anaheim Vacation Info
Anaheim is located approximately 30 miles south of downtown Los Angeles and 90 miles north of San Diego. Its central location makes it an excellent place to base a Southern California vacation. The county itself spans over 700 square miles of some of the best known and exciting sights in California.
Anaheim is a city with rich history as a farming community and area of fine wine-producers. Today, Anaheim continues to be an integral part of the west coast, with its citrus production, many family attractions, beautiful scenery and plenty of shopping and dining options.
Anaheim City Info
- Tenth largest city in CA
- Land Area: 50.37 sq. miles
- Parks in Orange County: 547
- Number of radio stations: 8 AM; 11 FM
- Number of television stations: 20
- Elevation: 137 feet
Anaheim Weather and Climate:
- Average daily temperature — 70° F
- Average annual rainfall — 7.8"
Distances to other Metropolitan Areas from Anaheim:
- Atlanta, GA — 2,177 miles
- Charleston, SC — 2,497 miles
- Chicago, IL — 2,015 miles
- Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX — 1,422 miles
- Detroit, MI — 2,283 miles
- Indianapolis, IN — 2,065 miles
- New York, NY — 2,777 miles
- Las Vegas, NV — 266 miles
- Los Angeles, CA — 26 miles
- Memphis, TN — 1,791 miles
- Miami, FL — 2,725 miles
- New Orleans, LA — 1,882 miles
- Phoenix, AZ — 357 miles
- Seattle, WA — 1,163 miles
- Washington D.C. — 2,652 miles
Anaheim Safety Phone # and Major Hospitals:
- Ambulance: 911; Police: 911; Fire: 911
- Anaheim General Hospital — Address: 3350 West Ball Rd. 92804; Telephone: 714-827-6700
- Anaheim Memorial Hospital — Address: 111 W. La Palma Ave., 92801; Telephone: 714-774-1450
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital — Address: 441 North Lakeview Ave. 92807; Telephone: 714-279-4107
- West Anaheim Medical Center — Address: 3033 W. Orange Ave. 92804; Telephone: 714-827-3500
Anaheim Top Tourism Draws and Seasons:
- Disney's California Adventure
- Arrowhead Pond
- Anaheim Angels at Edison Field
- House of Blues
- The Sun Theatre
- Anaheim Convention Center
- Knotts Berry Farm Family Theme Park
- Aquarium of the Pacific
- Cinco de Mayo — May
- Greek Festival — May
- Halloween Festival — October
- Nutcracker Festival — December
Anaheim Major Shopping Areas:
- Anaheim Indoor Marketplace — 1440 South Anaheim Blvd......
- Antique Historic District/Old Towne Orange — Chapman & Glassell Streets
- Asian Garden Mall — 9039 Bolso Avenue
- The Block at Orange — 20 City Blvd......
- East Anaheim Shopping Center — 2180 E. Lincoln Ave.
- Anaheim Plaza Shopping Center — 530 North Euclid
Anaheim Major Dining Areas:
- Antique District/Old Towne Orange — Chapman & Glassell Streets
- Asian Garden Mall — 9039 Bolsa Ave.
- Downtown Disney — South Disneyland Dr.
Anaheim Famous Landmarks & Historic Places:
- The Mother Colony House
- North Gate of the City of Anaheim
- Peralta Adobe
- Site of San Pedro Gate
- Richard Nixon Library and Birthplace
Anaheim Famous Natives and Residents:
- President Richard Nixon (Birthplace)
- Singer Gwen Stefani (Birthplace)
- Character Mickey Mouse (Resident)
Notable Moments in Anaheim History:
- 1857 — Settled by German farmers and vintners; population 881
- 1887 — Santa Fe Depot built; provided a mode of shipping for citrus growers to eastward markets.
- 1881 — Incorporated.
- 1924 — First Annual Halloween Parade; drew up to 150,000 people, known as the "Greatest Night Pageant West of Mardi Gras"
- 1955 — July 17: Disneyland opens.
- 1966 — Angels Baseball team first season in Anaheim.
Interesting facts about Anaheim:
- Anaheim's name means: "Home by the river," from "ana," referring to the nearby Santa Ana River, and "heim," German for "home."
- Adele, Alberta, Claudina, Emily, Mavis, Paulina, Sabrina, and Whilhelmina Streets are all named for early Anaheim pioneer women.
Anaheim Population and Demographics:
- City of Anaheim Population — 328,014 (as of the 2000 census)
- White — 117,607 (36%)
- Black — 7939 (2%)
- Asian — 38,919 (12%)
- Hispanic/Latino — 153,374 (47%)
- Other race, or two or more races — 10,175 (3%)
- Population 18 and under — 30%%
- 65 and over — 8.2%
- Median age — 30 years
- Average household size — 3.75
- Median family income - $49,969
Anaheim Colleges and Universities:
- Hope University Unico National College
- American States College
- Trinity College of Graduate Studies
- North Orange County Community College
- American College of Law
- ITT Technical Institute: Anaheim
- Fullerton College
Anaheim Economy & Business — Notable Employers and Industries:
- Boeing North America
- Kaiser Permanente Foundation
- Anaheim Hilton & Towers
- Anaheim Memorial Hospital
- Anaheim Marriott Hotel
- Interstate Electrical Corporation
- Top Industries: Manufacturing, Education, Arts, Health, Social Services, Retail Trade, Recreation, Arts and Accommodation
Anaheim Hispanic Community Media and Churches:
- Vida Nueva — Hispanic Newspaper
- Union Hispana — Hispanic Newspaper
- LatinReporter.com — Local online services
- Contacto Magazine — Burbank, CA, magazine
- Hispanic Lifestyle Magazine — Riverside, CA, magazine
- Hispanic Today — Sherman Oaks, CA, magazine
- Latin Style Magazine — Venice, CA, magazine
- Radio Nueva Vida Network — Radio Network
- KVEA Telemundo 52 — TV Channel
- KMEX Univision 34 — TV Channel
- Primero Iglesia Bautists Hispana — 1749 W. Orange Ave, Anaheim 92804
- Iglesia Bautista Hispana de Santa Ana — 1010 W. 17th, Santa Ana 92706
- Hispanic Fellowship — 7702 Westminster Rd., Westminster 92683